Tuesday 19 April 2011

Information Literacy

The following is part of a reflection I did on a lesson last year. I played the video to some year 1's as part of a motivation for a cooking lesson - 'where does pasta come from?', most of them had an idea but there was a range of answers.  After viewing the video, all but one child (and he wasn't too sure) agreed that pasta grew on trees - even the ones who had actually made pasta previously using flour and eggs! I actually found this a very powerful lesson for me that we need to be extremely careful about what information we present to students - that they trust us a sources of information and that students need to learn to be critical very early on.  The lesson did have a happy ending - we used it as an example of how students need to trust their own knowledge, to be critical of information and to check other sources for verification. It was also very motivating - it generated lots of questions and inquiry - I've never seen year 1's so interested in cooking pasta!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jo! Firstly, great lesson idea! I will have to remember that video for future cooking lessons. I did something similar convincing my class we have jelly fruit trees in NZ after I brought them in some jelly oranges. Half the class headed off to Bunnings that night to buy one!

    I think that a great way to teach children about information literacy is to trick the students(as we did!) and let them realise that they were decieved by a convincing video or person. Great way to create some cognitive conflict!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz, I think I would head to Bunnings for a Jelly fruit tree as well - just on the off-chance!

    You make a good point about sometimes tricking students because it also makes them question whether you are always on the level as well - I think this encourages them to become more critical and more independent learners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne, I agree with Liz: this is a great lesson! Having been tricked once, students will hopefully remember the experience and be much more careful in future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes agree. I have seen this video before and thought it great, it is very convincing and even so to young children who are very trusting. Today's digital world is so scary for kids the sooner we can educate them on being critical the better informed this generation will be.

    ReplyDelete